This is almost there - though you might need to consider its length - it might
be too long.
1. I have had a 'taste' of what the subject at academic level by studying AS
level computer studies, [and] this has confirmed my decision to take on a course
which contains aspects of programming.
2. has showed me what type of software [it has shown me]
3. to use my iniative [initiative]
4. A general observation whilst attending these placements was that working
at a quick rate and being efficient were keys to success. [I would omit this]
5. I learned C++ at school and also taught myself how to build websites. I
have also an interest in hardware and have learned about the components of a
computer, and thus upgraded parts of my home computer. [make this your second
paragraph - very relevant to your application]
Some minor amendments still needed but almost there.